Delicious butterscotch filling in a biscuit crust flan, topped with whipped cream.
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 4½ tsp corn starch
- ¾ tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp salt
- baked 23-cm pie shell (see Biscuit Crust Flan)
- 1½ cups scalded milk
- ½ cup whipping cream
- walnut halves for decoration
- Mixing bowl for dry ingredients
- 2 bowl/cups for beating eggs
- Egg separator (useful but not essential)
- Measuring tsp, Tbsp
- Double boiler
- Egg beater (electric)
- 23-cm pie dish
- Mix sugar, flour, corn starch and salt thoroughly in top of double boiler.
- Add ¾ cup of scalded milk.
- Stir over direct heat till smooth.
- Add remaining milk then place over boiling water and cook with frequent stirring for 15 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks well.
- Stir in a little of the hot mixture and pour back into double boiler.
- Cook for 3 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla and stir till well mixed.
- Beat egg whites till stiff and fold into hot mixture.
- Pour immediately into cooled pie shell.
- When ready to serve, spread lightly with whipped cream and decorate with walnut halves.