50 g beef, stewing or frying, with little fat, cut thin
1 teacup breadcrumbs
shake of mixed herbs
1 Tbsp suet
pepper and salt
1 Tbsp parsley
chopped bacon (±2 slices)
grated rind of lemon
squeeze of lemon juice
2 egg yolks with little water
- Set oven temperature to 180 °C.
- Stir all filling ingredients together
- Pound beef out to 1/4 inch or /1/2 cm thickness
- Spread filling evenly over beef
- Cut beef into four portions.
- Roll and tie.
- Place in casserole dish and cover with rich brown gravy.
- Simmer for two hours.
- Just before serving, add little cream from top of milk.
- Makes 4 beef olives.