- 75 g plain flour
- 60 g granulated sugar
- 5 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp cream of Tartar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- few drops almond essence
- 105 g granulated sugar
- 270 g granulated sugar
- 125 ml water
- 1 egg white
- chopped nuts, cherries, etc.
- Set oven to 190 °C.
- Sift flour with 60 g granulated sugar four times.
- Place egg whites in large bowl with salt, cream of Tartar and flavourings. Whisk very well till stiff.
- Gradually whisk in 105 g granulated sugar.
- Fold in sifted flour and sugar with metal spoon.
- Push batter into 20-cm tube tin.
- Cut through any larger air bubbles.
- Bake for 35 minutes or till skewer comes out clean.
- Invert cake tin onto wire tray for 1 hour to cool.
- Remove cake from tin.
Note: Roughly chopped crystallised pineapple, cherries or walnuts can be folded into batter.
- Put sugar and water into pan.
- Heat gently and stir till sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to boiling point and boil till little thread is formed by syrup (232 °C) then leave to cool slightly.
- Whisk egg white till very stiff, gradually adding syrup and beating well in between.
- Whisk mixture over hot water till it becomes slightly granular around sides of basin.
- Remove from heat and continue whisking till it holds pattern of whisk.
- Spread quickly over cake. Pull up points with teaspoon.
- Quickly, before icing sets, decorate with chopped nuts or cherries, etc.